Monday, October 18, 2010

It's all about the SUBSTITUTES

Hey guys!
I recently have been speaking with a few people about their eating habits and the topic of substitutes has come up alot. You see... a lot of you out there know the basics of whats good for you and whats not. I mean our parents teach us in elementary school not to eat cookies and try and force us to eat our veggies. I am not here to teach you what you already know yet rather educate you on what you might not know.. yet.

The basic "rule" to weight gain and loss is straight forward: Calories in - Calories out... right? Of course we have to acknowledge the way this equation changes based on our normal metabolic rate of calorie use and the amount of excercise we do daily. What this post is about is the power of substitues and how they can keep the "Calories In" part of this equation minimized.

The person I spoke with on this issue recently said to me, "Why would you tell me to use peanut butter.. isnt is full of fat and has sugar in it?"... Yes, peanut butter is full of fat, correct. It also has some added sugar **You can buy all natural peanut butter that doesnt have any added sugar, however** What I was trying to convey to this person was not to just eat peanut butter on top of their normal eating habits.. but rather use it as a substitute. Anyone who knows me knows I am a peanut butter junkie. I could live off the stuff. But what I use it for is to substitute a feeling of satisfaction that would normally come with eating something sweet like chocolate or cookies. I am one of those people who always gets a "late night sweet tooth"... leading me to crave unhealthy foods late at night. Now instead of grabbing a candy bar or some ice cream, I stick my spoon into my extra crunchy peanut butter and take one bite of this spoonful of sweet gooeyness.

If this concept of substitutes is used throughout your day with every meal, you can save yourself on upwards of 1000 calories. See the point is not to completely deprive yourself.. this will only intensify your cravings and leave you to wanting something more (we all want what we cant have). The point is to find healthy substitutes to the foods we know we like and crave.

Here is a list of substitutes that might help you shed a few pounds:
  1. Substitute skim milk in your latte.
  2. Substitute sugar free flavoring in your coffee.
  3. Use protein shakes like muscle milk as coffee creamer, or use soy creamer in place of 1/2&1/2
  4. Use vanilla extract in your oatmeal to sweeten it, or splenda.
  5. Substitute egg whites and one whole egg in place of normal eggs.
  6. Substitute turkey bacon for real bacon.
  7. Substitute whole wheat toast for white toast or BAGELS<---(1bagel=6 pieces of bread!).
  8. Substitute cottage cheese for salad dressing (you can mix in a tiny bit of ranch or blue chz to flavor)
  9. Substitute grilled chicken for fried chicken.
  10. Substitute brown rice or quinoa for white rice.
  11. Substitute lean ground turkey for anywhere you use ground beef (great in tacos/lasagna!)
  12. Substitute laughing cow 30 calorie cheese for cream cheese.
  13. Substitute yogurt (greek plain) in the place of sour cream (tastes the same-same texture!)
  14. Substitute olive oil mayonaise (Kraft makes it) in the place of regular mayo.
  15. Substitute Bumble & Brown yogurt butter in the place of butter.
  16. Substitute whole wheat pastas in place of regular pasta.
  17. Substitute one spoonful of peanut butter for your sweet late night dessert!
There are so many ways you can cut calories out of your everyday diet. Small changes in each choice you make throughout the day will lead to huge changes in the future. You will see a difference in your weight over a period of time just by substituting aka.. making healthier choices but not completely giving up the things you love.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Amber!

    Ok so I have a couple questions...

    -What about low-fat mayo? I never buy regular but I'm wondering if it is similiar to the olive oil one that you listed.

    -How do you feel about low-fat salad dressings? Should I be paying attention to the calorie content or the fat content?

    -Sour cream... same deal as above. I either buy low-fat or fat-free sour cream. I love the idea of the greek yogurt though - I'll have to try it. But is there a substantial difference between items that are low-fat/fat free or are the substitutes just overall better for you.

    Thanks for the bagel info - I eat one every Friday at work (they're provided) and obviously that's stopping LOL!

    How do you feel about pretzels? I am a p.b. junkie just like you and I love to dip pretzels in it. Bad or good?

    Thanks for all the info... it's SERIOUSLY appreciated!!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie!
    low fat mayo has on average 2 grams of fat per tablespoon. Regular mayo has about 9 grams... so the switch is going to be beneficial..the olive oil mayo made by craft is mayo that all the bad fat is taken out of and olive oil is used in its place. Its 45 calories per serving and 4 grams of fat. But it still tastes good an the fat is going to be a good fat.. rather than a fat your body will likely store. I have to ask though.. what do you use mayo in ? If its tuna... try substituting chopped up avocado or even plain nonfat greek yogurt... or mustard. All these things are great substitutes for mayo when making tuna.

    The other thing that you have to be careful about is normally anything that is "LOW FAT" just means it HAS MORE CARBS. This is how they hide the fat but make it taste decent. A lot of time these things are worse for you then the regular version of them. Hidden sweeteners and carbs are added to make you like the "low fat" version.

    Salads dressings should be paid attention to but one thing you can bet is that any clear salad dressing is going to be much better for you then any cream based or dressing you cannot see through. If eating out, always choose the clear dressing choice.. vinegrette, italian, etc.

    If buying dressing... try the cottage cheese replacement if you like the creamy dressings. Dont buy store bought ranch or blue cheese unless you are using a tiny bit to flavor your cottage cheese. These are never going to be "good" for you.

    Sour cream should be avoided.. honestly try the plain yogurt option.. I promise you will barely notice a difference. And again.. be aware of LOw fat versions.. check the carbs in them and the ingredients.

    NO BAGELS haha... bagels are the devil! And trust me.. it was a hard battle to give them up! I love them too!

    Pretzels have a ton of sodium and preservatives.. if your talking about the bagged hard pretzels. The soft baked pretzels are just like bagels... both arent going to be your best choice for snacks. Almost anything that comes in the dry bagged or can or packaged section is going to have preservatives and your body will not be able to process it or break it down. It becomes stored fat or waste.

    Check out the blog below on this page for snack ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo helpful!!! I need to go to the grocery store now. I already wrote down your snack ideas. Trader Joes is like my fave place ever and I feel like I will be able to find lots of good healthy choices there.

    I usually put mayo on my sandwiches and in my tuna. I'm going to check out my light mayo when I get home to see if all these facts are true!! Hahaha.

    Not a fan of cottage cheese though. It's a texture thing for me. I think I'll go for the clearer salad dressings instead. Or what about olive oil and balsalmic? I heard somewhere that if you use olive oil without using it to cook with, it's much better for you. Something about the heat change makes it turn into the bad fat or something??

    Sad about pretzels. Any other suggestions besides falafel chips? I am a serious chip eater. Something about the crunch with a bit of salt is addicting!

    Thanks again for the info!

    ReplyDelete